Monday, May 9

Spring Wild Flowers

On a Mother's Day hike in Franconia Notch yesterday, I spotted dainty spring flowers along the trail. Whenever we hike, I like to look at the plant life while my kids usually run ahead. When we camped in Grand Teton National Park two summers ago, I got up early just to go see the wildflowers in the sage brush flats before everyone else rose. For me, seeing the wildflowers is just as intoxicating as the breathtaking views.
Yesterday, in Franconia Notch State Park, I saw Yellow Violets...
 Red Trillium...
 I'm not sure about this one. Anyone know? Please post in the comments...
Hobble Bush...
Dogtooth Violet (also known as Trout Lily)...

To see photos of the rest of the hike...waterfalls, New Hampshire's White Mountains, and a covered bridge along the trail, visit my family blog here.

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...