Saturday, September 1

Note to Caroline: Starting to Close Down the Community Plot

It feels too early to close down since it is still warm here, but to tell you the truth, it's been a difficult growing season. As you know, I had to complete moving my residence and business within a two week span which resulted in no time to maintain the plot. Below is a photo of a plot they are getting ready for spring. I saw many plots covered with heavy black plastic. It is a great, quick way to kill weeds while the sun is still out.
Thistles, thistles everywhere. Do you know any effective way to get rid of them? I think the more you remove them, the more they spread. I know you have to remove the entire root, but is that even possible? I've seen many gardeners just leave them, and I think that may be a good solution if you can get away with it. I can't get away with it at a community garden.
Here is a photo of my not too lush runner beans. Pretty pathetic, huh? Not quite like the ones I grew as a child in England.
 I am trying to think about how to make my life easier next year. Thoughts of building raised beds pop into my mind from time to time, but I am not sure if it's worth the expense for a community garden. Another thought is to give up my plot as the apartment I have now has a tiny garden and a patio large enough for many containers. Any thoughts on what I should do?
 

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...