Saturday, September 1

Note to Caroline: Starting to Close Down the Community Plot

It feels too early to close down since it is still warm here, but to tell you the truth, it's been a difficult growing season. As you know, I had to complete moving my residence and business within a two week span which resulted in no time to maintain the plot. Below is a photo of a plot they are getting ready for spring. I saw many plots covered with heavy black plastic. It is a great, quick way to kill weeds while the sun is still out.
Thistles, thistles everywhere. Do you know any effective way to get rid of them? I think the more you remove them, the more they spread. I know you have to remove the entire root, but is that even possible? I've seen many gardeners just leave them, and I think that may be a good solution if you can get away with it. I can't get away with it at a community garden.
Here is a photo of my not too lush runner beans. Pretty pathetic, huh? Not quite like the ones I grew as a child in England.
 I am trying to think about how to make my life easier next year. Thoughts of building raised beds pop into my mind from time to time, but I am not sure if it's worth the expense for a community garden. Another thought is to give up my plot as the apartment I have now has a tiny garden and a patio large enough for many containers. Any thoughts on what I should do?
 

No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...