Sunday, August 26

Packing a Vegan Meal to Go

I'm learning to cook vegan meals because my daughter has decided to follow a totally plant based diet. I've been a vegetarian for a good portion of my life, eating plants, eggs and dairy, but cooking vegan is new to me. I thought I'd share my attempt at creating a vegan meal which she could take to work with her. I generally don't follow recipes and do my own thing depending what I have on hand, but I'll try to be specific with this recipe.


I cooked a cup of rice (use whatever rice you like best) then fried it in a little coconut oil. I added a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of Braggs Liquid Amino Acids.

In another pan, I stir fried the following veggies-

  • 1/2 head of shredded cabbage
  • 2 diced carrots
  • 1 sliced red pepper
  • 1/4 cup sliced white onion
  • 1/4 cup sliced radishes
  • 1/4 cup of corn
  • 1/2 cup small florets of cauliflower. I also peeled and diced the core of the cauliflower and tossed that in.


I sprinkled with Sazon and stir fried the veggie mixture in coconut oil. Then, I incorporated the rice. I marinated extra firm silken tofu cubes in a mixture of soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, and Sazon. I stir fried the tofu in a separate cast iron pan, then added it to the mixture. This made enough for several meals. My daughter added hot sauce to it, so maybe next time I will spice it up more as I'm cooking it.

Finally, I sprinkled some dried cranberries on top of her lunch. My family loves dried cranberries and we add them to just about everything- salads, shepherd's pie, casseroles, sandwich spreads, home fries, baked goods, cold cereal and oatmeal.



Separately, I packed her some trail mix made of sunflower seeds, peanuts and raisins. She can have this for a snack, or sprinkle it on her meal for some crunch. I include a piece of fresh fruit to the meals I pack for my kids, usually a banana or apple.


As I delve further into this new world of plant based cooking, I will try to share the meals I make here on Sprouts.

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...