Thursday, June 19

Starting a Front Door Container Garden at a Studio Apartment

This summer, I found myself in a cozy little studio apartment in the beautiful historical town of Havre de Grace. Just a few streets down from the Chesapeake Bay. It was a move that was unexpected. Basically I had one week to move to a state and town I had never been to be closer to family.


 While moving into a tiny studio apartment meant letting go of a big garden. It also meant that I could downsize and get creative.  My first thoughts on where to garden were, "Maybe I will get a community garden like in Portland. 


  After that did fell through the only choice I had was to do something at my studio apartment that is a 3 unit houses. My goal was to do some gardening and turn a tiny spot into a cozy, a coastal garden oasis! Last week I begun to transform my boring landing by adding two window boxes and just plain black pots for now. 

I added  2 black window boxes first
 
This window box has 2 Geraniums and a Sweet Pepper

ðŸŠī My Small-Space Garden Setup:

 

An assortment of vegetable plants and annuals

Here’s what I planted right outside my door:

  • 2 black  window boxes (from Amazon) — Each holds:

    • 1 pink ivy geranium ðŸŒļ

    • 1 pepper plant ðŸŒķ️

    • 1 marigold 🌞 (hello pollinators!)

  • 7 black 1-gallon pots (lined up on the steps and edge):

    • 1 Basil plant ðŸŒŋ

    • 3 Tomato varieties 🍅🍅🍅 (a slicer, a cherry, and a Roma)

    • 1 Strawberry 🍓

    • 1 Cucumber ðŸĨ’

    • 1 extra marigold and Pepper for good measure

  • A couple of fabric grow bags for overflow ðŸŒą

Everything was purchased from Home Depot (plants and soil) and Amazon (window boxes, pots, and fabric bags). 


💰 Estimated Costs:

Item Quantity Cost Estimate
Pink Ivy Geraniums 2 $4 each = $8
Peppers 2 $4 each = $8
Marigolds 2 $3 each = $6
Basil 1 $4
Tomato plants (3 types) 3 $4 each = $12
Strawberry plant 1 $4
Cucumber 1 $4
1-Gallon Pots (Black) 7 $3 each = $21
Fabric Grow Bags 2 $5 each = $10
White Railing Window Boxes 2 $15 each = $30
Potting Soil (3 bags) 3 $6 each = $18
Total Estimated Cost
$121



No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...