Sunday, May 18

Flowering "Victoria" Rhubarb Plant


This is something I've never seen before in my garden- my rhubarb is flowering. This variety of rhubarb is an old fashioned type, Victoria. I read this type is more prone to bolting. It's quite pretty and could make a nice ornamental but after a little research I discovered this is not a positive thing for the plant. So, I really should cut it back.

Here's why:

  • flowering takes up the plants energy 
  • bolting weakens the plant when it could be storing up carbohydrates to help survive the next winter
  • conserving the plant's energy produces more edible produce
  • any seeds produced are less than ideal

Course of action:

  • cut back the flowering stalks
  • fertilize well
  • divide large, mature plants up 

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...