Sunday, July 27

Propagating Petunias from Cuttings

This was an unintentional discovery. While deadheading my petunias, a piece broke off. It had pretty blossoms on it so I put it in a small vase on the kitchen window sill. Then I forgot about it until yesterday. The blossoms died and I was about to toss it in the compost, when I noticed these roots growing.
It rooted without rooting hormone- just plain water. So I planted it. Easy.
This is what my cutting will develop into once established. I bought these mini white petunias on clearance at a department store in June. They were half off because they had been neglected and dried out. It didn't take long for them to bounce back with a little water and pruning.

From now on when I have some cuttings left from pruning, I'll put them in a vase to propagate more petunia plants.

Turns out Petunias, as well as Tomato cuttings, root very easily. Take a look at these videos to see how Halvor in Norway roots his tomatoes and petunias.



No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...