Friday, August 21

Growing Tomatoes in the Little Greenhouse


This year has been a good one for tomatoes. I started seeds in late winter indoors and then transferred them to the little greenhouse once temperatures were high enough.
Here you see the plants back in June.  I planted most into the ground but saved a few to grow in the greenhouse as an experiment. I'm surprised to report those in the greenhouse have done much better than the garden plants. I wondered if the greenhouse would get too hot or the containers didn't hold enough soil. But it's been a good thing thus far. I've fertilized the greenhouse tomatoes with seaweed tea so that is a factor as well.

My hope is the greenhouse will extend our short growing season and I'll enjoy home grown tomatoes a little longer this year.

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...