Friday, June 21

A Note To Michele: Deer Eat Jerusalem Artichoke Leaves

Michele,

I like the colors you have chosen this year. The bright colors really pop! Your garden is expanding and you have come so far with it since beginning a garden at this location. I'm impressed. I've enjoyed watching all your video walkthroughs as things progress. It looks fantastic!

I haven't added many new things in my garden this year. Like you, I need to divide large clumps of perennials. I'm concentrating on expanding the garden so I have more garden, less grass (and less mowing!) Here's a video of part of my garden. You'll see hostas, lady's mantle, scented geraniums, and bleeding heart. For some reason, I lost a lot of my lupine plants over the winter so I had no blooms this year. I suspect it was the temperature varying up and down. I also lost my allium- so disappointing!



The iris you sent me are blooming, however, only two survived of the whole batch. But those two will spread in time so I'm excited that at least those survived. Again I think it was our strange weather. The lilies you sent are doing fine. I expect they will bloom in July.



This year, the deer have been more common than in the past. My kids saw one last night as the sun was setting. Today when I went out in the garden, my Jerusalem artichokes had been defoliated! Only bare stalks remain. Sigh.

I've been working for a few years now to get a nice patch going and I was looking forward to seeing the pretty yellow flowers. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I cut them back? Will they grow again this year? If they do, will they be a snack for the deer again?  I don't know.

I feel honored the deer feel safe here. Not so honored they ate my Jerusalem Artichokes. But given a choice, I'll take the deer. Seeing one so close to the house is a magical experience. Here's one I caught on camera one winter.


It's about time for my little birds to return to nest in my garden. I think they are flycatchers, but not positive. Every year they raise their babies here. Here's a video from last summer of their babies leaving the nest.

That's all for now. I can't wait to see more of your garden as the summer continues.

~Caroline


What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...