Sunday, May 17

In My Greenhouse-May

My little greenhouse is serving me well. I used it well into November last fall. I stored the plastic cover inside for the winter, but the frame stayed outdoors and survived the deep snow. Now it's back in business, on my deck, for 2015.
I have had a problem with bugs, bees and this little ruby-throated hummingbird. They fly in the open door when they see blossoms, but can't find their way out. I've helped many to the door and freedom these past weeks. This little beauty was just fine and I've seen it flying around my garden since this particular evening.
Since the hummingbird incident, I've taken all the tempting blossoms off the plants. I also close the door when possible, but on sunny afternoons it gets so hot inside the little greenhouse, it has to be opened to let the heat out. So I keep a close eye on things.
Inside, I have tomato seedlings...
flower seedlings from the seeds Michele and I are sharing. I'm also growing greens in containers like this batch of mustard spinach.
These petunia seedlings are from seeds I collected last fall from my 2014 petunias. It will be interesting to see what color flowers I get with these. I can't believe how many germinated. Good thing I like petunias!
You'll also find geraniums, zucchini, lettuce, herbs, and a variety of other veggie starts in my greenhouse this year. I'm so glad I decided to get it. I'm thinking of getting a second one when they go on sale this fall.

Below is a video by John of Growing Your Greens about this very greenhouse. He demonstrates how to put it together and discusses the pros and cons of this model.


What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...