Saturday, May 30

Note To Michele: Memorial Day Drive to The White Mountains in New Hampshire

Hi Michele,

We've been having lovely warm weather here in Maine. On Memorial Day the kids and I drove to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I thought you might like to see some of our favorite spots.
This is the Albany Covered Bridge just off the Kancamagus Highway. This pleasant area has some nice hiking trails.
Then we stopped at Rocky Gorge, just a few miles beyond the covered bridge on the same highway. The little bridge you see in the distance traverses Rocky Gorge.
A spectacular view from the Rocky Gorge bridge. In the summer, this spot is packed with swimmers, however no one is allowed to swim in the gorge itself, for obvious reasons. 
This is a root-y trail near The Basin in Franconia Notch.
Crawford Notch has always been one of my favorite spots. 
We had the most delicious rocky road fudge in the snack bar.  I've loved this area since I was a little girl. It's always breathtaking, but in Autumn, it really is a sight to behold with all the beautiful colors. A cup of hot apple cider tastes better here than anywhere else. I think we will need to do a return visit in October.

 This marker commemorates a massive landslide which occurred in the early 1800s. Sadly, the family who lived here perished.

In other news, the garden is doing well so I'll be posting regular updates now that things are in full swing. We already harvested rhubarb, mustard spinach, black seeded simpson lettuce, some microgreens, chives, and asparagus. My greenhouse has made a huge impact on my garden this year....more on that later.

What's happening in your garden this week?

~Caroline

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...