Sunday, September 2

Bindweed


Bindweed has invaded my triangle garden the past two years. I think it must have come in with a load of loam I ordered. Every few weeks, I pull it, which isn't easy as it wraps around all my cultivated plants. Without pulling it, the plants would be completely engulfed by it.

It has a nice scent when pulled, something like fresh mowed grass. The flowers are pretty, so I would let it grow in some areas if it didn't completely take over. 

I let weeds dry out on my sunny deck before putting them in the compost in case they might seed or root in. Drying them first helps with that problem, especially with invasive plants. 

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...