Tuesday, June 9

First & Second Harvest of the Season-Portland, OR


Beets-They are a tad small this year, but with 90 plus weather I am starting to harvest all my spring crops earlier than usual. The goats next door loved the beet greens. I managed to save a few leaves to eat for dinner tonight. I boiled my beets last night using the instructions in the video below.




Lettuce-I don't think the holes from the slugs are showing in this photo. Slugs are bad this year! It is always a major battle with slugs in the pacific Northwest.  The lettuce are another victim of the mini heat wave. Looks like I will be eating a lot of salads this week.


Onions and Garlic-The stems of my garlic and onions are starting to fall to the ground. I read that the onions are ready when the main stem closest to the bulb feels dry and not solid. I am leaving the bulbs out in the sun to dry out before I store them. The garlic is small, but smells wonderful!


Chamomile and Basil-I have been collecting chamomile flowers for a while now. If you have never grown this herb, don't worry about being aggressive collecting the flowers. As soon as you remove the flowers, more appear in a few days. 


Raspberries-I am not sure what variety the peach ones are, but they are way sweeter than the usual red varieties. 


Sage-I am just drying these on the kitchen counter on a paper towel right now, but once I get more I will start using the dehydrator. Of course I saved a few springs to use fresh. 


Peas-The pea plants are getting brown already from the heat. So I have decided to get aggressive with harvesting the pea pods this year.


Lemon Thyme-I am going to use this to make tea.

No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...