Thursday, June 18

June Garden Update-Portland, OR

View of some of the community beds

On my mind right now

Heat

The weather here in the Pacific Northwest has been very warm this year. With long stretches of 80's and 90's degree days. It feels like August here instead of June. It has had an effect on the garden. The spring producing vegetables like peas are confused and are dying off . As a result, I have been harvesting vegetables sooner. Caroline told me that her peas in Maine are a few inches while mine are ready to die off. It feels like we are a whole season apart.

Slugs

They are everywhere! So far I have not resorted to using the slug pellets that most gardeners use here.  I have tried egg shells, which seemed to work somewhat. Lately I have also been cutting down bramble berry branches in my battle with the slugs. I strip off the leaves to expose the thorns and use the branches to line the raised bed. It seems to be working and brambleberry is an invasive plant that can be found everywhere here. I think you could also use rose branches.


Epsom Salts

I have been hearing about using  epsom salts in the garden as a fertilizer for a while. This season I decided to try it, and so far I am excited about the results. I sprinkled some on the surface of a few of my beds and was amazed that my plants perked up in one day. I also diluted some with water in a spray bottle to use on the plants. Here is some information on how to use it.






Community Bed Tomatoes



My bed of  Onions, Potatoes and Peas


The Peas have started to pod finally


Mini beds of Strawberry, Lettuce, Onions and Beans in the area at the back of my home 


Mini drawer beds of Beets and Tomatoes
A Pea has taken over this Tomato Cage


Mini drawer beds of Beans

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...