Sunday, March 10

Note to Caroline: New Community Plot, Portland

Hi Caroline, this afternoon I worked at my new community garden raised bed. I still can't believe there was one right on my street and I never even knew about it. It is a private garden that is hidden on the grounds of a local business. The garden consists of about 30 raised beds some of which are community beds. I have to admit that I got used to my old space that could have fit 6-8 of these beds, but it is a joy to walk only 20 steps to the garden versus taking a bus ride for 45 minutes. I took a few photos to show you.




Today I was able to clear my clover covered raised beds, amend the soil and plant all in about an hour. I think I am in love with raised beds!


Because of the lack of space I have to rotate crops. Half of this bed is sown with peas and the other half is sown with Chard,Chives, Carrots, Beats, Lettuce and Onions.


 I am still planning to container garden and plant the border we discussed at my apartment. I think I will get going on that major project tomorrow.  As far as the weather, once in a while it breaks 60 here, but it is still chilly the rest of the time. I did spot some herbs for sale at the grocery store along with pansies and a few perennials. I imagine your garden is still covered in snow. Do you see any sign of spring yet?


What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...