Friday, May 24

Note to Michele: Malabar Spinach

Hi Michele,

When the rain let up a bit this afternoon, I took the opportunity to sow some seeds in the garden. Today's weather has been dark and gloomy, but I got out there anyway to do some seed sowing. The mosquitos were just about eating me alive so I worked quickly. I planted all of the seed varieties you sent from our seed list. I also planted an interesting plant I picked up at my local garden center. It's called Malabar Spinach or Climbing Spinach. I had never heard of it before but the packet looked interesting, so I thought I'd try it.

I planted the seeds in a large terracotta pot. A few days ago I got a great bargain on some extra large terracotta pots at a local thrift store. Some were stuck together, but the price was right so I took my chances. When I got home I ran cold water over the stuck pots and they came right apart no problem.

After I planted the Malabar Spinach seeds today, I thought I better find out some information about what I'd just planted. So, I found this terrific video by John at Growing Your Greens with a lot of detailed information about the plant, as well as a super way to use it in a veggie wrap. I can't wait until mine is ready to eat so I can try this recipe.

Until next time....

Caroline

No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...