Sunday, July 29

Growing Microgreens: Micro-Chard, Micro-Beets, and Micro-Spinach

I had some extra seed on hand that I picked up when the price was right. I thought I'd start them now and see if I can grow microgreens. I may save a few seedlings for cold weather gardening too. These packets of seed were 10 cents each. Can't beat that price!


I don't know much about the science of growing micro-greens so I'm going to keep this experimental and simple. I sowed them in basic flats, in seed starting mixture and will put these in my greenhouse. The green house is basically empty right now. We have been getting so much rain lately, I want to control the water on these flats. A month ago I sowed some herbs. None germinated and my theory is things were just too soggy. Even my geraniums are not looking happy with so much water, so I'm going to put them in the greenhouse for a bit too. We are due for more rain in a few days.

I'll be back with an update on my micro-green project in a few weeks. Hopefully I can give you a flavor report. I'm really looking forward to micro-beet greens in particular.

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...