Friday, June 8

Farming by Hand

As I mentioned, my daughter and I have been reading The Rose Years books by Roger Lea MacBride, about the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her family as they built up their farm in the late 1890s. The Wilders did everything with human or animal power on the farm. It seems incredible to us today that everything was done without the use of fossil fuels on their farm and amazing they got everything done. We're learning their work was never done which has us doing some deep thinking about the future of food production in our world.  I found this interesting documentary to share here about a farm in Britain and this problem in general.
.
In addition, the following video by Peak Moment visits a store which sells old fashioned hand tools every purpose imaginable.  


What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...