Friday, August 31

Vegan Cooking Red Lentil Soup

I'm continuing this adventure into plant based cooking with a familiar recipe I've made often over the years as a vegetarian- lentil soup. My favorite lentils are red lentils, however any lentils will do. As I've mentioned before, I don't tend to follow recipes but use what I have on hand. So this particular version of my lentil soup included the following veggies:

1 large carrot
1/4 cup of cabbage
1/8 cup white onion
1 chopped red pepper

I sauteed these in coconut oil while the lentils boiled, and then added them to the pot of lentils to continue cooking. I boiled the whole thing for about 15 minutes.


To this I added the following spices:

black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon sazon
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

Usually I use my electric hand blender to blend everything into a puree, but when I plugged it in, it wouldn't work. I have no idea why, it worked perfectly the last time I used it. Such is life. So I improvised with my favorite kitchen tool- a stainless steel tooth edged manual chopper. I inherited this from my grandmother when she passed away. I use it so often for so many different tasks, and every time I do, I remember Grammie in her kitchen. It's a small treasure that came to the rescue when my electric hand blender went kaput!

I used it to grind up the soup by hand. It didn't come out as smooth as usual, but I think I like the rustic texture better.


I love lentil soup, so I was happy with this one, but the true test will be if my daughter likes it. I hope she does because it's packed with nutrition.

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...