Friday, August 24

Yellow Jewelweed, Impatiens pallida, in Smugglers' Notch Vermont


On our recent trip to Vermont we spent some time in Smugglers' Notch, one of our favorite places to visit. This is the only place I have ever seen yellow jewelweed. In my area along the coast, I've only seen orange jewelweed, Impatiens capensis.

Perhaps I just haven't noticed the yellow variety in other areas, but as I was walking the paths in the area, I happened upon this sign explaining the rare alpine plant community in this area due to the minerals in the rock. I'm wondering if the yellow jewelweed is part of that group of plants. However, I have found this article about Yellow Jewelweed in northern Illinois. Click here to read it.

Click here for my post from 2014 about Smugglers' Notch.

Let us know if you have jewelweed in your area. Is it yellow or orange?

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...