Thursday, June 9

June Blooms

This time of year I have many perennials blooming in my borders. The iris, bachelor buttons and phlox were all gifts from my mom's established gardens. Soon, the peonies will open, too. I'll be sure to post photos of those when they burst into bloom.  
These iris grow everywhere in our area. I've seen masses of them in the ditches along the roads.
I'm so happy with this clump of bachelor buttoms. I took a small piece from my mother's garden just a year ago which has tripled in size.
Above: These were given to me this spring with a huge lot of strawberries and perennials. I'm not sure what it is, though I've seen it growing in other gardens. Can anyone help me out? Please post in the comments if know the name of this plant.
Above: Pinky-white phlox. Below: Purple phlox. These colors are also growing natural along the roads. These are doing well in the shady areas of my yard. I also had a beautiful phlox that was white with red center. It was from my grandmother's garden but sadly it seems to have died out.
Below: Lady's Mantle. I love this plant so much I wish it would spread, but in all the years I've had it, it stays about the same size.

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...