Sunday, May 22

Note to Caroline:Overwintered Kale

As you know I have become fascinated with all the overwintered Kale that have started to flower and turn to seed in my Community Garden. Some of the Kale is nearly as tall as I am. See the photo I took over the weekend of a whole field of flowering Kale.




We did not get any comments to my question on why the Kale was turning to seed so early so I had to do a little research. I found that it is common for Kale to turn to seed after over wintering. My "google" search resulted in finding out that you have to harvest the Kale leaves quite quickly because Kale, and for that matter all over winter varieties of Broccoli, Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts, will flower and turn to seed early spring.

On a side note, remember how I was telling you about Kale Chips last summer? Well, I found a great video on how to make them. Hope all is well with you.



What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...