Saturday, July 23

Easter in July

I was quite surprised to see this Easter Lily in bloom a few days ago. My mom gave me this about 3 years ago. After Easter I popped it into a flower garden. This year it rewarded me with two pretty blooms that smell lovely. It joins my other lilies in a pretty July display.


I also have red bee balm in my garden which attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. This particular patch of bee balm is taller than me, so over 5 foot 2! I don't know why it grew so tall when a nearby patch is about 3 1/2 feet tall.
Below is one of my eggplant blooms. I included this because I think it's so pretty it could be in a flower garden. It reminds me of the wild deadly nightshade which grows around here. Eggplant is in the nightshade family, so makes sense. Deadly nightshade has tiny purple flowers with a yellow center. See a photo I took of the deadly nightshade here.
and lastly, in the shade, a bumble bee visits delicate hosta blossoms.

What to do when it is just too Darn hot to Garden?

It has been a very hot summer everywhere. From what I have been told it is normal to get 100 plus days from the months here from  May to Oct...