Saturday, July 23

Easter in July

I was quite surprised to see this Easter Lily in bloom a few days ago. My mom gave me this about 3 years ago. After Easter I popped it into a flower garden. This year it rewarded me with two pretty blooms that smell lovely. It joins my other lilies in a pretty July display.


I also have red bee balm in my garden which attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. This particular patch of bee balm is taller than me, so over 5 foot 2! I don't know why it grew so tall when a nearby patch is about 3 1/2 feet tall.
Below is one of my eggplant blooms. I included this because I think it's so pretty it could be in a flower garden. It reminds me of the wild deadly nightshade which grows around here. Eggplant is in the nightshade family, so makes sense. Deadly nightshade has tiny purple flowers with a yellow center. See a photo I took of the deadly nightshade here.
and lastly, in the shade, a bumble bee visits delicate hosta blossoms.

No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...