Saturday, July 2

Note to MIchele: Catalpa and Elderberry Blossoms


Hi Michele,
I was at my Mom and Dad's house last night and took this photo of their Catalpa Tree in full bloom. I see these trees in our area quite often. In the summer, they will have long bean like pods hanging from them. I thought you'd like to see it. Do Catalpa Trees grow in the Pacific Northwest?

And here is the elderberry bush in bloom. In a few months this will be loaded with purple elderberries which I will harvest. I like to dry them and use throughout the winter for cold remedies. I also freeze them and make syrup with them. When I was a kid, my family made elderberry jelly, but I haven't tried that yet myself. To see a photo I took of the berries last August click here.

I've heard you can eat the blossoms. Some people make fritters of them. I'd rather wait for the berries though.

~Caroline

No comments:

A few more beautiful moments from Longwood Gardens

There were simply too many beautiful gardens, flowers, and little details at Longwood Gardens to fit into just one post. Before moving on to...